Sunday, September 2, 2012

Glimpses of Glory

Blessed be His glorious name forever! And let the whole earth be filled with His glory. Amen and Amen.   Psalm 72:19, NKJV

As our plane began its approach to the runway, I marveled at the way the lowering sun reflected off everything wet and metallic-streams became ribbons of molten silver, car windows flashed like golden shields, and puddles shone like shiny pennies. As a cemetery rushed toward me on the left side, I briefly noted that there were no headstones-only plates of brass, marking each grave. But I wasn't prepared for what happened next.


As we flew over, suddenly the sun exploded off the tops of hundreds of the brass markers in quick-fire succession. Bam! Bam! Bam! As the plane tilted, each marker ignited with a flash bright as a diamond. And then it was over, and our plane touched down. It happened so fast, as if in a twinkling of an eye. I had been looking out the window, dreaming about heaven, and the Lord opened the eyes of my heart to glimpse heaven's glory. I got a bird's-eye view of I Corinthians 15:51-52 when "we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed-in a flash-in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed."


Some would insist that all I saw was the sun reflecting at a 45 degree angle into my eyes. But it was more than that. Our God is an intentional God, brimming over with purpose, infusing meaning into everything around us. He has sprinkled earth with calling cards of His presence and purpose... whether in parking lots, airport terminals, or cemeteries.
                                
Moses once prayed, "Show me your glory." You also, can pray that prayer. But be prepared to catch those glimpses at most unusual times in most unusual places.

Lord, as the hymn writer said, you "shine in all that's fair." Thank you for the little flashes, the brief glances out of the corner of our eyes of that which will one day fill the earth.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment